If Walking Dead #100 wasn’t enough from the Robert Kirkman’s mega-franchise, but San Diego Comic Con 2012 also brought us the debut of the Season 3 Trailer!
If you want to see four minutes of complete badass awesome… The feast your eyes on the trailer for The Walking Dead Season 3 coming October 14th, 2012 to AMC (cue sad music for DISH TV customers).
I gotta point out some of the more noticeable things I saw in the trailer:
1. Lots of Michonne. After almost going two entire seasons wondering when we’d see one of the best female characters in comics, we got a brief moment of her in the second season finale, now… Looks like we have a whole bunch more coming!
2. The Governor. This isn’t quite the same Governor that we saw in the comics. This version seems to be a hell of a lot more charismatic. Sure, when we first saw him in the comics, we weren’t quite sure what to make of him. It didn’t take long to realize that this guy was bat shit crazy. This guy seems to think of himself as if he’s Jesus Christ shepherding people to safety and paradise. Considering how much Andrea and Michonne want to leave Woodbury (the Governor’s base of operations), I suspect we will quickly see that he’s not quite the savior he perceives himself to be.
Plus, it seems he’s pretty pissed that Rick and the gang are in the prison. Which is the perfect segue to…
3. The prison. When this appeared in the comics, it made so much sense. The one place you never want to be would prove to be the one place you desperately need to be to protect yourself from walkers. But it isn’t ever that easy, is it? First, you gotta clean it out. Then you gotta defend it. For those who moaned and groaned about how little we saw walkers in season 2, you better strap yourselves in because it definitely looks like the horror elements of cleaning out a dark and spooky abandoned prison from walkers that await behind every corner and in every room. The scene of them going down the hallway only to run smack dab into a cluster of walkers was chilling.
4. Rick the undisputed leader. Right off the bat, we see that it’s been a while since the end of season 2. Everyone’s looking shaggy and scruffy. They’re hungry and scared. Rick, as we can expect from him over the previous 19 episodes, still needs buy in from his group, but it looks like once they start to settle into the prison, he turns fiery when the Governor shows up by threatening the season 3 villain if he ever comes near his people. Looks like Rick has finally found that balance between the inspirational and the tough leader he needs to be.
5. This is my final question about season 3. We know the Governor is coming. We get an awesome final shot of Merle at the end of the trailer. We know Michonne is there. We know the prison has come into the equation. What about Tyreese? Yeah, that guy who was Rick’s muscle for so long in the comics until he was killed by the Governor. Will he make his appearance? There’s a guy who could fit his description (god, that sounded racist) holding Michonne and Andrea in Woodbury. Will he make it into the series or is he being held as Kirkman’s ace-in-the-hole? Only time will tell.
Can it be October 14th, like, tomorrow?